Following the release of Star Citizen 2.6’s final point release I sought a new challenge and joined Splash Damage. My first time living in London(ish)!
Released in 2020
Splash Damage | Lead Level Designer | ~3 years
I started at Splash Damage as a Senior Level Designer working on the Gears Tactics vertical slice before moving into the Lead Level Designer role a little into production.
- Leading a team of level designers to create level content
- Running a multi-discipline feature team
- Directing campaign game content
- Maintaining the quality of the game’s campaign
- Training interns and junior level designers
- Building levels from blockout through to final
Initally my role had me building and enforcing standards and metrics for level and mission content. On Gears Tactics, I took a lead by example approach. This was mostly taken care of in explorations as a part of early production. Most of my hands-on work in these early stages involved me building templates and archetypes for the level designers to build from and improve upon.
I responsible for reviewing, providing feedback and signing off missions and levels created by the level design team. In addition to this I also designed and implemented a number of campaign levels as well as a series of side missions.
- “First Light”
- “Left Behind”
- “Dead End”
- “Taking Stock”
- “Burned Out”
- “The Silo”
- And roughly 10 side missions across the campaign
Some of my contributions were featured in a Gears Tactics Art Blast on ArtStation.
Gears Tactics was released to positive reviews.
Images and concept art © Microsoft Corporation